RE: Gas Tank

To: "'Douglas B. Gaither'" <dbgaither@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: Gas Tank
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 10:12:16 -0700
Doug:

        I'm assuming since you have a 66 that you have the later tank that
bolts to the trunk floor, not the type that is strapped to the floor.

        If you happen to have the earlier tank that has the bolted in
sending unit, then your best course is to clean and seal your existing tank.

        If you have the later tank, then my recomendation is to replace it.
No, I am not trying to generate sales.  I've relined a number of tanks, and
had a couple that had relapse problems.  Cleaning and relining is a good
option if replacement tanks are unavailable.  In the case of the 66-72 tank,
replacements are readily available, and competition has driven the costs way
down.  A relined tank is never going to be as strong as a new one.
Particularily with this tank that tends to rust on the top surface.  Do
yourself a favor.  Buy a new tank, and also the installation kit which gives
you all new bolts and washers.  These are readily available, because this is
a common problem, on a popular car.

        Save the grunt work for other areas of the car where there are not
economical fixes.

Kelvin.

        Who just found out that his 65 MGB race car did not have a leaking
fuel sender.  The tank has a cracked weld.  Mmmumf!