Re: Alchemy and Rover - All The News

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alchemy and Rover - All The News
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 03:53:01 +0610
Barrie Robinson wrote:

> Are not British workers the pips?  They have trashed a deal to get
> the plant back to work because the union were not satisfied with
> pensions, redundnacy pay, and such !!  They are going bust because
> the plant was too expense to compete and here they are wanting MORE.
> I think all MG lovers should come to terms with the fact that UK
> built MGs with character are a thing of the past.  Goodbye MG
> (Morris Garages) Hello MG (Made in Germany)

Sheesh, what will these bloody workers want next... a 40hr week or maybe
a mimimum wage above the poverty line, hell, next they will go for safe
working conditions!  What do they think this is... the 20th Century?

Barrie, if you can't afford to pay the workers properly (remember, they
are not hobbiests, they are qualified workers who have mortgages,
children and wives to feed, etc.) then the place already IS bust.  The
business would simply not be sustainable.  And if you are thinking along
the lines of "what would they prefer, a job with poor pay and conditions
or no job at all", then I would suggest you have read the answer
already... and if you don't know why they have answered in this way then
ask me and I can tell you off list.

Have they exhausted all bargaining possibilities... maybe not, but it
certainly is reading that way.

I am not sure what you do for a living, Barrie, but I am sure that even
most MG enthusiasts would not want a new line of these cars at this sort
of cost (as difficult a decision as it may be to make).  I can tell you
that the board of directors of Alchemy wouldn't have been taking a
salary cut to get the New MG off the ground.

Eric
'68MGB MkII