Re: Looking for a Maintenance Free Battery

To: Steve@shoyer.com
Subject: Re: Looking for a Maintenance Free Battery
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 10:32:46 -0500

On Tue, 2 May 2000 22:58:17 -0400 Steve Shoyer <Steve@shoyer.com> writes:
> I've seen ads for an Optima battery. It sounded great (it could sit
> on the
> shelf for two years and still start your car, lasts 3-4 times as
> long as a
> standard battery, etc.) but expensive.  I forget where I saw the ads
> (Moss,
> maybe), but a couple of places sell them (LBCarCo's web page lists
> them at
> $174.35, and I'm sure there are others).

That's a pretty high price, and I think based upon what Moss sells them
for.  Interstate Battery now distributes them, but they call them
"Extreme Performance."  See
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/product_line/extreme_performa
nce.htm.  Regardless, it is the same thing, so check for a local
Interstate distributor, which can be found at the above website.  You
should pay no more than about $130.

For Optima's website and a list of distributors see
http://www.optimabatteries.com.

They are _great_ battery.  They last forever and can be fully discharged
and recharged without significant deterioration (unlike a standard
battery).  I've had one in my Jag for three years, and Jags are known to
eat batteries.

A problem, though, is that they only come in one size, which is too big
to fit in the MGB/MGA battery boxes :-(.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD