The magical adventures of Millicent

To: mgs list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The magical adventures of Millicent
From: Sheila Stokes-Begley <brigid@solve.net>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 00:43:11 -0500
Well, my husband got tired of having one view of his wife, and that
being her cowboy boots sticking out from under the car or hanging out of
a doorway with my head stuck under the dash.
I dreamed about wiring diagrams. He called a mechanic (a real one, who
likes MGs and does wiring too!) So, I had got everything but the heater
fan blower, and two rear side markers and reverse lights working (and I
really thought I had those last night when I hooked to wires that were
dark green and green & brown together, and one set was on top of the
reverse switch, I mean I really thought......) So anyway, I pretty happy
as I guess I kind of have obessed about getting my little car back on
the road, I want to drive her so baaaaad! So we are going to Belton, 2
towns over on the highway. We make it to 71 Hwy. she starts to cut out,
lose power (now I'm thinking fuel filter, this is JUST how she used to
act when she had sat too long, and I would go through 4 or 5 fuel
filters, then she would be happy and it would be fine) but NOOOO, all of
a sudden she just drops out from under me, NO power at all. Luckily my
hubby was right behind me, so we pull over, he calls tow truck, and the
driver of the tow truck is nice, he says I can ride with Millicent to
the "Dr.s" Hubby calls Mechanic, says she's coming in on a slider. While
we are waiting for the tow truck, he comes and hands me a small white
packet, it is the club info for the Kansas City MG Car Club I just
joined, their motto is "still dripping" I believe,  I'm thinking to
myself, I think I'm gonna like these folks. So I amuse myself by reading
the info. Tow truck shows up, the driver and I chat on the way to the
"Dr.s" and turns out his sister has a restored 50 something MG, I tear
off a piece of the MG newletter and write their website addy on it,
along with the membership fee for a year. Cool eh? So then we get to the
"Dr.s". I had really kind of hoped that he would let me watch (God knows
I need all the help I can get, of course by now, many of you have
probably figured that out too.) Well, he is a nice guy, my hubby didn't
follow the tow truck, as we have a business and he had to go back to
open shop again. So, not only does this most wonderful mechanic let me
stay and watch, he tries to teach me. I had brought my Haynes like he
said to, and it is amazing. For those of you who guessed ignitions
buzzer on name that part, gold star. Did the Barney test, with the 12V
BUZZZZZZZZZ. It had never worked, and can't say I miss it, but that is
what it is. The heater fan is restored and heaven only knows how long it
would have taken me to figure out the problem, as the wire I needed to
make it work, had been um, diverted to my radio. (No, I didn't do that
one) so that is why I couldn't find the problem (although I should have)
but now have rear side markers (amazingly I had almost finished fixing
those and the reverse lights, but hadn't found the last thing I needed
to do to make them work) I got SOOO excited when I found out that I had
done a few things right. The really cool thing about this guy, is not
only is he fabulous good, he used to teach auto mechanics at a nearby
junior college!! He told my hubby to go ahead and bring me back
tomorrow. The bad news is the points are melted (novice mechanics should
note never ever to leave her ignition switch on for 30 min no matter
what she is checking <head hung low>), so we will replace the points,
and he feels the vibration Millicent is having is due to her tires
needing to be balanced. Then just a bit more work on the hazard lights
(which had never worked either) and tighten up the fan belt (which is
why the power dropped out, the belt wasn't tight enough) and Millicent
and I will be crusing home! Well, ok, that is the plan anyway.
I haven't got the bill yet, but the fellow is very nice, and kind about
teaching, works quick, and I'm taking him a loaf of my homemade bread
tomorrow! He sure has earned it.
But just had to share my high hopes and excitement, and figured you
would understand.
Best,
Sheila
Millicent 1971 MGB-GT