Re: Vanity Plates - a long essay follows....

To: SRegel@dpra.com
Subject: Re: Vanity Plates - a long essay follows....
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 15:42:37 -0400
  In CT, you go to Dept Motor Vehicles and register the car when you
bring the car into the state. At that time, you can receive either
antique plates, regular plates, or a temp tag to use during the delivery
time for the vanity plates.  Each state runs its own numbering system for
plates, just as they run their own numbers game for the lottery.  If you
had XPAG1250 in Utah, that would not exclude your having the same # in
CT, plate width permitting.
  Antique (Early American in CT) cost $75 for two years. These cap the
assessed value of the car at $500, so are worth having if the car is 25+
years of age and is worth more than $500.  Each town taxes cars as
Personal Property. In our town, the mill rate is 37.something.  In CT,
there are no use restrictions on Antique plates.
  Regular plates also cost $75 for two years. Towns tax on the Town's
idea of assessed value, which is going up rapidly on old cars.
  Vanity plates cost the $75 for basic registration, plus a fee for the
enjoyment of the vanity plates. I think it's an additional $25 or 30 per
year!  The state also has special commemorative plates, such as "Save the
Sound"  (this is Long Island Sound, not the sound of music), "Go Huskies"
(U CT basketball team or something) and some other things thought worthy
of celebration.  These carry the same additional yearly cost as vanity
plates.  You can, if you have just come into an inheritance, get
commemorative plates with vanity numbers/letters.
  At this time there are no Antique vanity plates available.
  Something new that we just learned about recently, and I'm sketchy on
details, is an affinity plate. You get an affinity group, such as CT MG
CLub, to approach the state with an order for 50 plates. These would have
the cost of commemorative plates and regular numbers, or the cost of
commemorative plates and vanity numbers at extra cost.
  If you had antique plates, this would not be a good deal for the
antique car, though it could be fun to put a CT MG Club plate onto your
Crown Victoria or Dodge Dart.
Bob