Re: Steel Bonnet Blues

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steel Bonnet Blues
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 00:32:24 +0610
Eric wrote:

> Right now, to keep the engine warm I have a borrowed (RED - goes
> faster), steel bonnet on my car.  Compared to the alloy it is REALLY
> heavy even though the rust spots must lighten it.  It is an ugly
> thing  to behold.
>
> I took the car for a test run out of town in 70mph areas and I could
> not believe the difference that it makes to the feel and handling of
> the car.  This makes me REALLY want the alloy bonnet now.

OK, so it was my imagination :-)

I was sprinting on Sunday and thinking too much about the bonnet and
other stuff to even keep on the track.  It felt like I had never driven
on this track before... which is far from the truth.  I was missing my
lines and braking points everywhere and had two enormous loses that just
shouldn't have happened during qualifying.

I bit of (mental) self-flagellation and a darn good (self) talking to
and my next qualifying laps saw me back to my fastest times again... it
all just came together with a little concentration.

The steel bonnet made NO noticable difference - unless it made me go
faster because by the end of the day I had shaved a further second of my
previous fastest time.

Mental attitude was everything.

I went fast and had fun instead of beating myself up all day - and
aren't these the reasons why we do things like this (hell, it certainly
ain't for the 'prize money:-)

Eric
'68MGB MkII