Coil 101

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Coil 101
From: "Michael E. Blair" <mblair@nfis.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 20:30:35 -0400
Ok, I have a few more questions about the coil. First, I will have a new one
here tomorrow so I can eliminate it as my cause of problems.

Anyway, here are my questions. Next to the coil is a long thin thing
connected to the coil. It is the ballast resistor, no? At the other end of
the thing there is nothing connected to the connector. Attatched to the
bracket of the coil is a round blue thing, looks like a capacitor. This has
a wire coming off, but not connected to anything. Any ideas if this should
be connected to the ballast resistor or if anything should be connected to
the resistor at all?

Also, I hear about 12V and 6V coils. Mine measured 12V so I assume this
means I use a 12V coil.

And lastly, someone mentioned about how hot my coil was getting... it is hot
enough that I can't touch it comfortably.

Thanks again,
Mike