Re: Octain (sic) booster [OT lead rant]

To: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>, Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>,
Subject: Re: Octain (sic) booster [OT lead rant]
From: Dan Dwelley <ddwelley@excite.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 10:45:39 -0700 (PDT)
Ok...Lets take a step back.
Generally, people gravitate to one side of the spectrum or the other. The
term Tree hugger or do gooder basically is a stereo-type for the extreme.
I think we all agree that there are poisons in the air and on the ground
that are bad for us.
I don't think someone experimenting with their car is going to make a
calculable difference in the environment. Mind you, I'm not saying break the
law...just try what ever you feel is reasonable.
If we expect to make a difference in the environment, then focus the
attention on energy providers and foreign countries that spew chemicals into
the air without regulation...like Mexico, etc.
I personally don't want or need anyone trying to make me feel guilty about
the environment. I do my part but I also like my LBC...so...I'm off to spew
more blue smoke into the air.
Oh...If I were to go to the extreme and become a hipocrite...I'd say
everyone who drives a car or uses a petroleum burning product OR by-product
created from the burning of a petroleum product is guilty of poisoning the
air. <---Sounds stupid doesn't it...reality people...we're all guilty so
stop sitting on your high horse adn lets get back to talking about LBCs!!!

Dan Dwelley
77 Midget (Pollution Provider)
Alexandria, Va.
On Tue, 23 May 2000 09:13:26 -0400, Barrie Robinson wrote:

>  I rarely rise to such dialogue but I am, and if I that makes me a
do-gooder
>  then so be it.     I love the way so many people turn a blind eye to
their
>  particular interest be it cars, gardening, snowmobiles, camping,
>  mountaineering, holidays abroad or disgusting SUVs.  If the rapidly
>  encroaching poisons of the earth are not REVERSED then ta-ta everybody -
>  thankfully I will not be here when the bhit hits the fan - but my
>  grandchildren will and that makes me mad!  Anyone reading this could half
>  their output of pollution, and that includes garbage, by exercising just
>  little thought.
>

>  At 04:43 PM 5/22/00 -0700, Max Heim wrote:
>  >Frankly, I think they are all eligible for a big fat fine, and
deservedly
>  >so. Lead is a poison, is absorbed in the tissues, and is particularly
>  >damaging to developing bodies. Just because you as an adult don't think
>  >you are being damaged breathing lead-containing fumes at your autocross,

>  >doesn't excuse you for exposing other persons, possibly including young
>  >children and/or pregnant women, that might be nearby or just downwind.
>  >This is not a question of "tree-huggers" -- think of it as an example of

>  >greedy corporations using a profitable but dangerous method of
increasing
>  >octane until finally stopped by public outcry over the increasing amount

>  >of scientific evidence.
>  >
>  >Fine, scoff at "do-gooders"... you would probably have enjoyed eating
>  >chalk and arsenic in your bread, and rat feces in your hot dogs (to
>  >mention a few instances of consumer protection)... how would you like
the
>  >air in the "Great Northwest" to look like LA? or Houston? or Mexico
City?
>  >
>  >(I'm sorry, these "dittoheads" make me sick)
>  >
>  >End of rant...
>  >
>  >
>  >Dave Wood had this to say:
>  >
>  >>Thanks Dan,
>  >>
>  >>I bit my tongue and decided not to respond.  Out here in the great
North
>  >>West some of us have a real problem with tree huggers.  My problem is
with
>  >>do-gooders in general...Most of the autocross and rally cars out here
go to
>  >>the smaller airports to get aviation gas instead of mixing boosters in
with
>  >>regular gas and wondering what the final octane will be.
>  >>
>  >>Dave 72 B
>  >>
>  >
>  >
>  >--
>  >
>  >Max Heim
>  >'66 MGB GHN3L76149
>  >If you're near Mountain View, CA,
>  >it's the red one with the silver bootlid.
>  >
>  >

>  Regards
>  Barrie Robinson