Re: Starter, dumb question

To: fwp@ufl.edu
Subject: Re: Starter, dumb question
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 14:16:11 -0400
Frank,
  You may need to be specific about the electrical items in your starter
circuit. I went into the Workshop Manual to look this up, and found three
different starter wiring plans before I stopped looking. There are 13
diagrams used between 1962 and end of 1974.
  My car, 1972 GT, is Diagram #12 in the book. #12, 11 and 10 show WN
(white/brown) running from the small terminal to the relay.  From the
large terminal (or its 12v tap) a small/medium brown wire runs to a
junction with a number of brown wires.  A large brown wire runs to the
alternator.  Diagram 10 shows the five-post alternator, while 11 and 12
show the two post alternator.   Paul Hunt, a frequent and generous
contributor, has wiring diagrams on his web site. If you don't have a
workshop manual (Bentley) check his site for the wiring diagram that
matches your car.
  What I found in my GT was that a DPO had bodged the wiring in the
starter and alternator areas. It all worked, but didn't work right.
Tracing all wires with a voltmeter and ohmmeter made it possible for me
to identify the wires (eventually) , and to reconfigure them to match the
MG diagram.
Bob