Re: 52 MG-TD replicar (VW)

To: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 52 MG-TD replicar (VW)
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:13:29 -0600
OK, don't get too irritated here.  The reality is that my father and I
built that car together 17 years ago, and it is what started my interest
in cars.  You can see for yourself where that interest has gone.  As to
the claimed year, I think the replicar company chose a year in the
middle, but there are some subtle differences in TD's - probably the
most notable being the bows and top frame - which, I might add, on a
replicar is nothing at all like the original.  If I wanted to lie about
it, I wouldn't have said it was a replicar or a VW.  My car is what I
said it is a 52 MG-TD replicar (VW).  It is not an MG and it is no
longer a VW either.  The title can confirm that.

Now how can you figure the MG can make a replica MG??  It was made by
them - so what if it is the same as one made 10 or 20 years ago, it is
still an MG.  I know nothing of the car you are talking about, but I
would guess that they called it by the same name as the original model.