Re: New lister

To: "Chris Rose" <chris_rose@totalise.co.uk>
Subject: Re: New lister
From: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 09:50:19 -0400
Chris, welcome to one of the better lists on the LBC circuit.

Your thermostat housing stud does not have a reverse thread. If
any piece of it is protruding do not cut it off flush. Get the
most aggressive professional machine shop penetrant u can find and
apply liberally for a number of days. Then hit the stud smartly
with a steel headed hammer. Then put a larger vice grip on the
stud, tight enough to crush the threads and start judiciously
wiggling it to unscrew it counterclockwise. You've got to show
some courage but hopefully not break the stud off. At this point,
if the stud gods are not with you, pull out a torch (propane is
good enough for the non metallurgist). Hit and unscrew again - its
a like tooth extraction - you can actually feel the car wincing.

If u fail in this mission, burn this email. Then you will be back
to flushing the stud (not possible if broken below the surface)
and trying to center punch and drill a hole for an extractor. If
the hole is not centered and u don't have an expensive extractor
this can become a mess. If the extractor breaks off in the hole
you are up the proverbial Swanee. In the end an oversize hole and
helicoil kit (not cheap) will be your or your mechanics final
salvation.

Do not damage the head surface.

The 30 mile drive should not be a problem. take some water in case
it springs a leak, but never pour in a large quantity of cold
water into an overheated motor.

Mike L

60A,67E,59Bug