Banjo Axle Hub Removal.

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Banjo Axle Hub Removal.
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:35:06 -0700
You know it's funny how the mind works.  Yesterday, I posted an explanation
of how the factory puller works to remove the Banjo axle rear hub.  Last
night I decided to pull the hubs on my 58 Magnette to replace the seals.
I'd forgotton that there is nothing for the center of the puller to push
against.  So I figured, huh, I must have stuck a big socket the same OD as
the stub axle on the end and pushed against that.  After using a hammer to
remove the screwed end of the factory tool from the socket that it had
lovingly seized, into I thought again.  How about a big flat washer, with a
small enough id that the tool will not get overly affectionate with it.
Hmm, that worked, at least to pull the hub off far enough that a couple of
tugs were able to completely remove it.

So....  At two o clock in the morning I suddenly woke up with the thought.
Waitaminute.  I made a tool to do that.  So there I am stark naked rummaging
through boxes of tools in the garage.  There it is a cute turned billet of
steel with BANJO AXLE stamped on it.  Just slightly smaller OD than the
bearing, with one end cut down to fit inside the stub axle, the other has a
small indent for the tool to index on.  Egads, I must be losing it, to have
spent that much time fabricating a tool, then completely forget about it.

Anyways.  The flat washer trick worked too.

Kelvin.  sinking slowly into the sunset of his brain.