Sorry if this is tangential - i have a migraine (Was a reply to

To: "MG list (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sorry if this is tangential - i have a migraine (Was a reply to
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 16:03:43 -0700
Blake,

My pleasure. It needs to be said. Education is the root of empowerment, and
of emancipation. Education is the one thing that can never be stolen from
you, as a mind that thinks for itself can never be chained.  Thus we are not
dry custodians of knowledge, but catalysts, and there is no higher calling
than facilitating this process. AND we own a REALLY cool car

;-)

I also see no difference between teaching an "academic" subject, and
teaching people how to fix cars (for instance). In both cases you teach
people facts, and you teach people how to use them, and ultimately you teach
people how to think. In both cases the learning process is a channel for
liberation, self-fulfilment, and creativity. We have precious little
opportunity for these things in our culture. So, Barney, Paul, Lawie, Ed,
and everyone else out there who has ever patiently shown someone one end of
a spanner from another. Thank you, your generosity does not go unnoticed.

My mum teaches children with learning difficulties, My eldest sister and her
husband have recently both changed careers to teach primary (age7-11) and
secondary (age11-18) school, and i used to teach undergraduate students, and
now spend most of my teaching time with graduate students. I feel very
spoilt that i can just get on with the process of getting people excited,
and facilitating their inquiry. I don't think i could deal well having to be
a disciplinarian as well.

My hat is off to you!

have a great weekend

cheers