re[2]: Choosing a carb for a '79B

To: "Majordomo@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re[2]: Choosing a carb for a '79B
From: "David G.Butcher" <dbutcher@foam.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:23:14 -0700
Thanks Brenda.
You've answered a concern I had that two carbs by definition must be more
hassle than one.
What SU's are you using?  HS4, HS6, HIF4 ...?
Any comments on emissions?
By the way, I have to make an exhaust change as well.  What configuration would
you recommend?
Dave

> When I bought my 79 MGB in 1995, it had the original stromberg carb.  After
replacing the exhaust system, I thought that I needed a little more boost.  I
purchased a Weber down draft.  I kept that on only a year.  The performance
of the B was suppressed.  I ended up buying a set of twin SU's from a
gentleman in Bartlesville, OK.  He rebuilds the carbs.  He sent them to me
ready to bolt on and drive away.  My B's performance is outstanding.  I get
better gas mileage, and quicker take off power.  I didn't have to adjust the
jets, because the guy presets the jets for the make of the car.  I have had
these carbs on for 4 years.  I drive my car 365 days a year.  I have never
been happier with any other carb.  By the way, this guy that rebuilds the
carbs (all British types of carbs), was an engineer for Jag before he retired
some years back.  And I might add, that I have never, never had a problem
with these carbs, not even having to adjust the jets.

Brenda

 <