RE: MG with an attitude

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MG with an attitude
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 20:08:18 -0700
Listers:

This type of stuff reminds me of: "We're making memories."
That's what my cousin said while we were digging the four wheel
drive pickup out of two feet of snow while pheasant hunting on a
Thanksgiving Day.  It's these kind of experiences you remember,
not the ones where the car is towed, trailered or everything goes
smoothly.

Barney would fit right in with Alex Hounslow, Henry Stone, Sidney
Enever, Cecil Cousins, et al, as that's what they did to make MG
the best known sports car in the world. It's that MG attitude.

As for his three cylinder MG, it's not the first.  If you haven't
read "Maintaining the Breed" by John Thornly, you should.
Another great book on MG, the people and the spirit of MGing is
"MG, the Insomnia Crew" by Henry Stone if you can find a copy.

FWIW: Ex 135, originally a 1100 cc six cylinder K3 set records at
1100 cc: 1500 cc, same engine but on the following day after
being overbored that night while in the car by Enever and Jackson
which put the engine into the next class; 750 cc, using a
different bore and stroke; 497 cc with a special three throw
crank; and 350 cc, using only two of the six cylinders.

So when you see Barney write "MG with an attitude" don't think of
it as a specific MG car, but as a philosopy, mantra, etc. where
"MG" is a serendipitios event involving you and YOUR MG.  And
that only seems to happen if you drive it alot everywhere AND
maintain it yourself.

Blake