Re: Archive address / past threads

To: Dereck C <derex39@hotmail.com>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Archive address / past threads
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 15:47:42 -0700
Dereck:

CAUTION:  Lye causes caustic burns and needs eye protection,
clothing protection, and rubber gloves.  Muriatic acid causes
acid burns, so protection is also needed.  I did read recently
that someone used white vinegar with fair results be it takes
alot longer.  This would be safer than muriatic.

Lye: I suppose you could use Drano, but it might have other
additives.  I used Red Devil Lye which comes as granules in a can
and is quite often found with the Draino.  Try one half of a 13
ounce plastic jar of lye added to two gallons of water in a
ten-quart pail.  Or the whole jar and four gallons of water in a
five or six gallon bucket with the lye.  Parts can soak as long
as needed.  CAUTION!  Lye eats and ruins aluminum.  I believe you
can only use ferious materials in it.

TSP: A granulated powder similar to lye.  I've bought it at home
paint shops as it is used to clean grease off before painting.  I
think this might be the more expensive route.  TSP may be safe
for aluminum but don't take my word for it.  Use the same mix
ratio as Lye.  TSP isn't as effective as Lye.

These solutions work best hot.  Grease will come to the top and
will need periodic skimming.  The paint will settle to the
bottom, but after a time the effectiveness does decrease. You can
add more Lye, or TSP but not both,  as time goes on, but the
solution gets pretty thick and full of sludge.  Disposal is up to
you, but pouring it in the curb is frowned on.

Muriatic Acid: I diluted it about one gallon acid to two gallons
of water in plastic a five gallon bucket with lid. Another
formula is 1 1/2 gallons of acid to three gallons of water.  I
think you need to add the water to the acid, just like sulphuric
acid in batteries.  CHECK THE LABEL!  You'll have to scub or
brush the parts after soaking as the rust just doesn't fall off.
Once the rust is loosened the acid goes after the good metal so
keep an eye on the parts.  Time varies depending on how heavy the
rust is.  I bought my muratic acid at Menards.  Acid is not good
for any kind of spring or aluminum either.  Dispose of it
according to you local regs.

Blake