Re: Tachometer

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net
Subject: Re: Tachometer
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 20:04:53 -0500

On Sat, 03 Jun 2000 17:41:48 -0500 "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
writes:
> Please forgive me if this subject has already been beat up on this
> list,
> since I'm new to the list.
>
> We're preparing a 1960 Elva for vintage racing, and the owner
> desires
> the original MGA electronic tach to be installed. I can't get it to
> work
> and don't know if I'm hooking it up wrong or if the tach is bad.

First issue is that the MGA didn't originally have an electronic tach.
They were mechanical with a screw-on connection on the left side of the
block.  If the hole isn't there, you don't have an MGA engine.  Some
British trucks and the MG Magnette used the MGA "B" Series engine with an
electronic tach.

> Questions:
>
> 1. Is there a way to check the tach other than running it in the
> car?

I don't know, but I don't think so.

> 2. We have changed from positive to negative ground - will this
> cause a
> problem?

Yes.  You have to change the tach from positive to negative ground.  The
Moss MGB catalog tells you how.  You can download it from
www.mossmotors.com.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII