RE: Steering Rack Boot

To: Doug_Cameron@icoc.org, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Steering Rack Boot
From: Duinhoven_Hans@emc.com
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 15:03:21 -0400
Hi Doug,

Maybe a bit late - been away a few days.
Filled with 90 weight oil (NO GREASE!) by a seringe connected with a small
plastic tube (fuel line of a moped). The tube was squeezed between the rack
and the boot.
I left the tube there and filled the seringe every time again.
When some oild came out - it was enough.
Best is to do this when the front wheels can move (turn as you might say -
steering movement). Do the movement while you're filling, so the oil can
spread throughout the rack. Do this on both sides.
Worked fine.
How much oild?
I used the amount as recommended in the Haynes manual.

Can't remember now.

Good luck.

P.S. when removing the steering linkages, save the adjustment with tape
marker.

Regards,

Hans