RE: Model versus Year

To: "Mgs@Autox.Team.Net (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Model versus Year
From: Gordon Bird <gb@the-bdc.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 07:47:34 -0400
Yup, you can blame the US car dealers again.  When the dealers went to
register the car with their states' DMV, they then determined what 'year'
the car was going to be.  This all changed when the current VIN system
changed (mid 70's?) so that a digit (currently 8th to last)within the VIN
indicated the model year of the car.
That is the reason that you can find an MGA MK II that is titled as 61,
although it is generally accepted that the MK II was the last model year of
the MGA, 1962.  I suppose it is possible to have a 63 MGA out there
somewhere, although I think at that time they didn't have too much in the
way of previous model year carry overs.

Gordie Bird
62 MGA
80 MGB