Test Data

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>, Tim Economu <economu@whidbey.com>
Subject: Test Data
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 12:40:38 -0700
At 4:22 AM -0600 6/11/2000, Tim wrote:
>For those in the second group I have a question. If you were to change
>camshafts to a more aggressive lift and duration, would you not expect to
>see some facts on how much horsepower has increased on previous engine
>conversions to the new cam? If I were a racer, the answer would be yes, but
>that is me.

I guess I'd have to say that engine performance is ultimately a
little easier to quantify than suspension performamance.  Once you've
set up the Engine X with a new cam, a chassis or engine dyno can tell
you exactly what you've done to the horsepower or torque curves...Of
course there would be a lot of setup dyno time in determining the
right fuel system setup, cam timing, and any other variable you would
change to maximise performance with that cam.  Then you could look at
the drive train ratios in relation to the power curve and type of
driving you are doing to stay in the power band.  A multi-variable
problem can be a real bear...
--
Chris Attias
'64 MGB