Oil pump

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil pump
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 17:25:00 +1000
Hi all,

Should I replace my existing oil pump with a new one while I'm doing this
rebuild, or if measured up and found to be within tolerance, is it ok to
keep the old one? A new one is $300+. (AUD). I had planned to buy a new one
today without even checking my old pump as (almost) everyone says to do
this. The reason I'm asking is before the crank went, I had absolutely
perfect, stock oil pressure. 62-65psi running and never below 20 even when
very hot. So should I measure her up, or just buy the new pump? There are
also kits available, but not sure how effective they'd be, I mean how do you
tell what is worn, the impeller or the body? Are there also other reasons
for replacing the pump, ie drive gear wear etc?

Cheers,
N.