Re: Multimeter

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: Multimeter
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:59:06 -0500

  The analog VOM most in use when I was an industrial electronics tech
was the Simpson 260.  Its input impedance was 20K Ohms per volt on the
DC scales and 10K on the AC scales, as I recall.  Later on, we went to
FET-input analog meters, for testing microcircuitry, which had an input
impedance nearing infinity (read waaay up there).  These meters used
battery power for all scales, of cuss, as do the DMMs.

  I agree about the test light.  The way I found that the 1-2 lockout
switch on my new (to me) OD tranny was spotty was a combo of test light
and DMM.  The DMM showed asome minimal resistance across the contacts,
but the 12v test light (a tail light lamp with some clip leads soldered
onto it) was noticably dimmer thru the switch.  OTOH, one could have
discerned the same problem by reading the voltage drop across the
switch; IE: read the voltage to ground at the connection between the
switch and the solenoid and subtract the reading from the voltage at the
wire harness connection going to the switch.  It's all in using the tool
correctly. (G)

  CR