Re: Fluid for Lever Shocks - bit off topic

To: Duinhoven_Hans@emc.com
Subject: Re: Fluid for Lever Shocks - bit off topic
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 09:02:07 -0400
Hans,
  The Armstrong shocks don't necessarily require all that much attention.
 One of the four on my TD did begin to leak, but only when it reached the
age of 47 years.
  Peter C has written that a trace of a leak (recall that in the manual
we are told to top off the fluid every 12M miles) causes the seals to
work. One would suppose that if the shocks were low on fluid for a long
time, the lack of fluid and its lubrication would cause the seals, the
bodies and the shafts to wear, thus increasing the rate of leak from the
"controlled" leak to an uncontrolled leak.

Bob