Re: Brake Fluid [really HP figures]

To: mvheim@studiolimage.com
Subject: Re: Brake Fluid [really HP figures]
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 06:39:10 -0400
Max,
  Yes, it is partly the difference between gross and net hp, and there is
no intention to say that true horsepower did not decrease over the years.
 Nobody who has not put each type of engine on a dyno can say for certain
what the HP output really was. Many suspect that the "gross" ratings were
inflated, or perhaps specially prepared engines were tested. We'll never
know for sure.
  Anyone with a stopwatch can measure the effect of reduced power, which
is what the magazines did, and they clearly tracked the acceleration
deterioration.
  It would be interesting to speculate how much weight would need to be
removed from an MGB to allow the 1975 car to accelerate as briskly as the
1966 model.
Bob