MG2000 Aftermath (rather long)

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG2000 Aftermath (rather long)
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 20:16:57 -0400
Wow after getting though 600+ emails (not all from the MG list - I do
have other interests LOL). I have some time to discuss the Cleveland
Rocks MGs Roll car meet. I did not say car show as I was unable to attend
the show on Sat. However the NYC skyline and the Statue of Liberty at
sunset, after a rain, from a yacht in the harbor, is VERY COOL.

Well I got to connect the dots of an couple of email addresses to some
faces. Kelvin D, Chris K, (the fotos are faked!!!!) Jeff Zorn, and a
couple others, Most I probably missed as I did miss the show. Great place
for a show tho - The Burke Lake Front Airport. Where the Indy cars have
raced for several years. (I heard that they ain't going there no more tho
- bummer).

Any way left about 7 AM Thurs to meet up with the rest of the Philly MG
Club contingent in Hamburg, PA. 7 MGs all running together was pretty
cool. Not too many problems on the way. One guy had his RBB loose steam
as we cruised along. Turned out to be a plugged fuel filter. About 50
miles later we got hammered in a downpour the likes of Noah. Could see
about just past the end of the bonnet. Fortunately that did not last too
long but we got all separated. Stopped at a rest area a bit later to
rejoin the group. Most everybody said they needed rain gear in their
cars. ;-). A few tried some duct tape along the top-windscreen edge -
just in case. Also the Rain-X was out in force. Anyway along to
Cleveland. We hit another rain squall but it was not as bad as the first.
One of the guys even said that after the Rain-X he didn't need the wipers
at all. We got into the Cleveland area about 5:30. Not a good time to get
into a big city. One guy had the instructions and we got separated by
folks trying to get home from work. Had no idea how to get to the hotel,
but we found it. One of the RBB's had his electric fans quit just as we
were getting to the hotel. Had to make a left into the parking lot at
what is likely the longest light in the US. He got just a bit hot.
Checked in and went to the hotel bar for a cold Guiness. Saw David D in
the lobby. The first of many sightings of listers over the next day.

On Friday there was a cruise through the area and I watched all the MGs
drive away, from my hotel room window. I forgot to mention that the
Midget was still in Bethlehem, PA. Tears in my eyes. So instead I hung
out in the pool and after all got back we headed over to the R&R Hall of
Fame. No Cameras Allowed!!!. What a cool place. Can't do it all in an
afternoon tho.  Then to the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner - never been in one
even though there is one in Philly. LOUD but fun. Apparently Rob Lowe was
shooting a movie in the mall that joins the HR. Never saw him but Hey. No
not that kinda movie ;-).

Back at the Hotel for the much anticipated (by me) Parking Lot Party,
that was held in the Ballroom due to rain. Free beer supplied by Triple-C
(not nearly enough, and where do they get off serving Budweiser at a
British car show). Good tunes - but not loud enough!! Apparently no
dancing allowed.

Went for a walk in the parking lot for my own show and met up with some
of the members of the infamous Spurious MG group. Ian Pender and buds
holding court under the tent that was set up for the party that didn't
happen. Gene Fox was there, as was Mike Robson. Gene was showing off his
LE with Fuel Injection. Wow! And does that car look good. BTW congrats to
Ian for getting the Best of Show!!

I understand that the show was pretty good and Hat's off the the Emerald
MG club of Cleveland for the good times.

Me, I had to leave the hotel at 6 AM Sat to drive 400 + miles back to
Bethlehem, shower and drive another 100 miles to NYC for a wedding party
on the above mentioned yacht. Then another 100 miles back to Bethlehem
for a good nights sleep. The cruise around NYC was worth the price of
admission, but I did miss the car show, and all the socializing that goes
on there. :-(

BTW the drive back to Bethelhem and the drive to NYC on Sat was the ONLY
reason the Midget did not make the drive. It's running pretty durn good.
We did have one problem tho. We were in a 96 Ford Probe and the power
steering went out. Was only loose belts. I went to try to tighten them
but have you ever looked under the hood of a Probe??? Got some belt
dressing at a local auto parts place and it was fine. My GF needs to
replace the belts this week. Was kinda ironic tho, the biggest problem on
the drive was NOT an MG.

Over 1000 miles between Thurs and Sat. Now I am tired.

On to the rest of the summer season and then to St. Paul for MG2001. The
Midget will be there - come hell or high water.

Larry

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.