Re: B engine cylinder head info needed /longish

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: B engine cylinder head info needed /longish
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:34:27 EDT
In a message dated 19/06/00 12:48:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Too much is taken from the cylinder head, so does anybody have some
>  measurements>  of how 'high' ( thick?)a sylinder head should be? There are
ways to>  calculate the exact >  volume in the (cylinder minus piston)+
cylinder head, so I exactly know how>  much that >  has been removed. The
pistons are not original, to compensate some for the>  high>  compression.>
I may go for better rather than perfect compression. >  The best would be
have some head-work done, but If I get someone to make a>  special >  copper
head gasket should I use>  - --'normal head-gasket' special-copper-gasket,
then another head-gasket, -->  or will a thick copper gasket alone be soft
enough ? Maybe with some>  'gasket-on-box'

Shaving the head is a bad way to increase compression, especially on a street
car, but is resorted to all the time by people too cheap to buy proper high
compression pistons.

It results in accelerated valve stem and guide wear unless the pushrods are
adjusted in length, and can compromise deck rigidity if taken to extreme.

The best way to restore proper valve train geometry would be to measure the
head (I have specs at home for the starting thickness of the head, if you
need them) and install a thicker single copper gasket of suitable size to
bring things back in line.

Bill S.