Around the world in Prince George

To: "E type list" <e-type@jag-lovers.org>,
Subject: Around the world in Prince George
From: "John J. Black" <transmancat@bbnow.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:54:53 -0700
Hi Guys

THE story of the day has to go to that Lagonda M45. As you know the car was
stuck with a con-rod sticking out of the block and our hero's are trying to
get another engine out of a similar car that is for sale in Anchorage. Well
not only did they get the engine, the guy took it out of his car for them,
shipped it by air and truck to Prince George via Seattle and it is being
fitted by some workshop in Prince George who's owner just called in to see
if they need help!!!!  The crew had to pay a trucker $3000 just to get the
car and themselves to Prince George so that they could stay with the event.
(This is not the first time this has happened, On the 1997 event one
competitor bought a truck in China after the car expired, put his car on the
back of the truck and carried on like nothing had happened!)
The engine, (4.5 liter Meadows) deal was done on the phone with no money
changing hands, just old car people helping each other. Once the car is back
in the UK the engine is going to be rebuilt and returned to Alaska. Now as
for the car being sold... right now I doubt that it would find a buyer!
<grin>
Can you imagine the sales pitch... OK you buy the car and when the engine,
that is now in a rally car, has finished rallying right across the USA,
Africa, the Sahara desert and up through Europe into the UK, I will send it
on to you! <grin>

The Rally leader (Giles in the Hillman Hunter) run into trouble today when
the radiator mounting brackets broke and teh radiator fell out! Luckily they
still made it to the check point. (phew, that man Giles really pushes his
luck with that old car!)

No changes on the scoreboard yet, so yesterdays information stands.

Enjoy.

Regards
John J Black
Waterloo Drivetrain Systems