Re: Originality

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Originality
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:41:08 -0700
I'll bet that is a rare car in Zimbabwe! Interesting to hear from you. I
am sure you will get responses from all ends of the spectrum. There are
"purists" on this list, and wild-eyed hot-rodders... relatively speaking,
of course -- I don't think MGB purists are nearly so fanatic as some
other marque owners, nor do MGB "street racers" tend to be as extreme.
Since the MGB was manufactured in enormous quantities for a sports car,
and was relatively inexpensive, with decent but not outstanding
performance, the owners tend to be pretty pragmatic about modifications.
>From all the stories recounted here, I would say the biggest issues to do
with an owner modification are: is it reversible*? is it well thought
out? is it executed in a quality manner? is it documented? If you can
answer "yes" to these questions I do not think there are many who would
criticize you. And even if someone was inclined to do so, you have to
please yourself first.

One consideration particular to your location may be that you will need
to keep in mind the "maintainability" of any modifications. By this I
mean, the stock components are readily available via post from the large
vendors such as Moss. But any unique or exotic components you might add
may make it more difficult for you or a future owner to find parts and
service. On the other hand, fitting "upgraded" parts from newer MGB
models (power windscreen washer, brake booster) shouldn't cause problems
in this regard.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

*a further thought on "reversability"... it is hard to think of what an
"irreversible" modification might be on these simple cars. Welded-on
fender flares? A pickup bed? Chop, channel and section? <g>

Alan had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149