Re: CB Sprigets

To: "James Nazarian Jr" <james.nazarian@colorado.edu>,
Subject: Re: CB Sprigets
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 07:39:41 -0400
This question comes up on the Spridget list once in a while. However, the
consensus, for CB Midgets and Square body Sprites, is generally the 1275
version. CB Midgets were built from 61 (I think) to 74. In 75 they went
the RB and the 1500. The early ones had a 948 or 1098 engine. There are a
lot of them about. Not nearly as many as B's, but still quite a few. As
far as the bodies are concerned, the same rules apply as looking at a B.
Look for rust in the floor and sills. Dents and dings or easy to fix. The
usual sources have plenty of parts.
Pricing - no more than about $5k for a superb car. Low milage concours -
usually more.
Good Bugeyes will usually bring a bit more than a similar condition
Midget. As far a comfort and day to day driving I think the square body
Spridget is a better car. (That's my opinion and I'm gonna stick to
it!!!) As far as cosmetic changes in the CB prduction years, exterior -
not a lot, interior the same kinda upgrades that B's had. A bit better
trim and differnet seats.

There are several other Midget drivers on this list and there is a
Spridget list on autox.team.net. The Spridget archive is in the place as
the MGS archive. So you might look there. There are also usually some
Spridgets on eBay most of the time.

Good luck

Larry

>This is one of those questions with no answer but I'm gonna ask it just to
>aggrivate everyone.  My girlfriend wants to get a CB spridget.  Knowing
>next to nothing about spridgets I turn to the list.  Are there years that
>are preferred for engine performance etc.  She is looking for a daily
>driver that could be worked on on the side, but never taken off the road
>for more than a day or two at a time.  What price range would that put the
>car into?  What major cosmetic/mechanical changes went on over the course
>of CB production.  I think she is primarily interested in frogeyes so
>anything on them?  Like I said I know nothing about them so any production
>data, values, scarcity, advice are greatly appreciated.  TIA
>
>James Nazarian
>71 B Roadster
>71 BGT
>
>"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"
>Enzo Ferrari

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.