Re: what else to try?? small starting electrical problem

To: "Bill Saidel" <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: what else to try?? small starting electrical problem
From: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:45:48 +0100
The engine/transmission strap won't cause your problem, it usually causes
slow cranking and you aren't even getting that far.  I presume your ignition
warning light usually comes on when you turn the key to Run since you
mention it, if it is not coming on 12v is not getting through the switch
onto the white circuit.

Do the hazards or lights work when the ignition doesn't?  If so this would
preclude battery and heavy current cable/brown connections as the solenoid
since 12v is obviously getting onto the brown.  In terms of components that
only leaves the ignition switch, but make sure the steering column
multi-plugs are fully pushed together and none of the pins are partially
pushed out the back of the connector, i.e. making dodgy contact.

If the hazards and lights don't work either check the battery clamps and the
point where the brown load and charge cables meet the heavy current cable,
either on the solenoid or a copper stud under the RHS toe-board (although
this may only be on UK cars).

PaulH.