Re: MGA Muffler

To: Edwin McCarroll <emccarroll@mco.edu>
Subject: Re: MGA Muffler
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:40:58 -0700
Edwin,

Well, I have an MGB with the PECO exhaust system (and header) and really
like it.  It replaced an Ansa system, which I also liked but I wanted to
try something different this time.

You might check with some suppliers to see if Ansa makes one for the A,
or your best bet might be to find a real muffler shop that sells the
Walker Turboflo line and have something fabricated.  If you want double
chrome tips they will have them, and the PECO for the MGB is a simple
system you can use as an example.  It uses larger pipes, 2", and a
single large silencer at the rear that is packed with a good quality
packing material surrounding a perforated pipe that goes straight
through, hence no excessive restriction.  It has a nice but not too loud
sound that I like better than the Ansa.  I'll have one made locally when
this one rusts out, which I should be able to do for less than the $250
replacement cost from Moss.

You will have to find a shop that will work with you and let you examine
the mufflers to find one that fits and has the straight through design.
I can give you the PECO muffler measurements if you like, let me know.
--
Stuart MacMillan

'84 Vanagon Westy
'65 MGB (Driver)