Steering Racks General, Was Filling steering rack,

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Racks General, Was Filling steering rack,
From: Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 12:42:32 -0300
Listers,

  That was certinly good info on filling early racks.  My question is
somewhat related.  I had my 80 B inspected last year (mandatory in PA).
The shop doing the inspection said that the rack was going, and that
it would need replacing next time around.  He determined this by
jacking up the front end (both tire in the air), grabbing one wheel
and moving it back and forth.  As the rack did its thing, there
was a slight "clunk" under the rubber bellows.  He claimed that
this meant that the rack would need replacing.   Is this correct,
or is it just in need of lubracation ?  The interesting part is that
the car only had 30k miles.  I thought this a little early for a
rack replacement.

"Inquiring LBC owners want to know"...

Thanks,

  Gene   80 B