Re: the passing of american mechanics

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the passing of american mechanics
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:22:11 EDT
In a message dated 7/6/00 7:12:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, WSpohn4@aol.com
writes:

<< I have had people criticise me for racing a Twincam, because I should be
 restoring it and preserving it. B******t! It's my dime and I'll do what I
 want with it. If I blow up the last Twincam engine in existence at 7500 rpm
 on the last lap in the last race I ever run, at least it will have gone out
 in style, doing what it was intended to do, rather than being fussed over by
 a bunch of anal retentive polishers.

<< Snip >>

 But hey - if you are concerned about the preservation of cars, there is
 nothing stopping you from buying a Twincam or two and mothballing them for
 future generations. I wouldn't presume to tell anyone else how to spend
their
 money, any more than I would accept that sort of advice from others.  >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well, Bill, that wasn't exactly my point about preserving the cars.  My
Midget is not a trailer queen, and I drive it hard (when it runs).  It is not
stock and has been desmogged.  I enjoy looking at pristine, 99 point concours
restorations, but I would never own one.  I agree with your almost Klingon
attitude about driving the cars the way they were meant to be driven.

My point was that I think these cars should last longer than the current
group of people who own them.  The only way we can keep the cars on the road,
(or at the shows, if that's your bag), is by showing other people how much
fun they are.  If you don't care about what happens to the cars after your
demise, that's your business.  I enjoy historical stuff and I appreciate the
efforts other have done to preserve antiques of all sorts so I can enjoy
them.  If you've ever been to the Smithsonian you know what I mean.  Think
how it would look if everybody had the attitude that stuff should be crushed
after they die.  (Poor Howdy Doody!)

BTW, Bill, this is not an attack on you or your attitude.  It is my opinion
and I'm stuck with it!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget