RE: MGB advice/opinions

To: "'Gordon Bird'" <gb@the-bdc.com>, Mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGB advice/opinions
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 12:28:42 -0700
Hi Gordie,

See that's what i thought when he asked $4600 for it (which i would have
been happy to pay), although i definately also got the MG-lovers discount
(he turned down a dealer who offered him more, because he said he trusted me
to look after the car properly!). Certainly it was the best condition i had
seen a MGB in three months of looking. There were however been certain
things that needed fixing, and other things that have cropped up since. Some
of which i suspect he knew about. For instance a vapour lock problem due to
the resorbtion canisters, which someone had patently attempted to fix by
replacing the tank in the vapour line. Also there was quite a bit of
half-assed electrical work which i had to pull out and replace or fix. The
PO didn't do any work on it himself, he always took it to a shop (which
isn't listed as an mg-specilaist) which probably explains some of the funny
things that have been done to the car.

Other than regular servicing, i had the car fully serviced just after i
bought it, and tidied up the electrics considerably, replaced various random
bits and bobs that needed fixing, and put in a new ignition system. total so
far probably $800.

This month i intend to have the carb pulled and stripped (the cost of the
tools = the cost of getting someone to do it for me, who knows what they are
doing far more than i do). The vacuum advance doesn't work, and the timing
needs adjusting. Other than that, the front springs need replacing at some
point, and a little bit of steering play fixed by fiddling with them bloody
shims (which may as well be done at the same time). The transmission and
engine both leak a very small amount of oil. Oh, and there's a mysterious
white spot on the radiator, which the mechnic who checked out the car
spotted and cautioned me to keep an eye on. Finally the soft-top will need
replacing in the next few years, and he'll get a new paint job in that
time-frame too.

The car is already in much better mechanical shape than when i bought it,
due to my TLC, and i intend to more-than keep it . So if i ever sell it,
maybe i could sell it to you for an even more-inflated price!  ;-)

cheers

Joe

Dr. Joseph Garner
University of California