CBB ride height question

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: CBB ride height question
From: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 22:49:32 -0400
Just finished rebuilding the front suspension on my '71 B. New A-arms w/ V8
bushes, lever shocks and springs. Car really handles much better, no more
wallowing around the road after hitting a bump. But I noticed that after
putting everything back together, the car appears to still be sitting a
little low (no difference from before the rebuild). When sitting on a level
surface and no one in the car, the A-arms are not parallel to the road, but
are probably angled upwards 20-30 degrees. Also, the top portion of the tire
is not visible because it is up in the wheelwell. This leaves only about 5
inches or so of clearance between the bottom of the front crossmember and
the ground. The new springs were the correct part number for pre-'72 chrome
bumper cars, so that is not the problem. Pics of CBB's I've seen in
Clasuager and other sources show the car sitting much higher, have the
A-arms approximately parallel to the ground, and have the entire tire
visible. Any ideas of why such the low ride height? On a related note, I
noticed the brackets holding the anti-roll bar were badly bent out of shape
(pushed about 1" forward towards the front bumper). I replaced the brackets
and also the rubber bushes, and everything fit up OK. Any ideas of how these
brackets could have gotten so bent out of shape? TIA.

Craig
'71 B