Question about using the clutch

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Question about using the clutch
From: Geoffrey Gallaway <geoffeg@sloth.org>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 19:02:39 -0400 (EDT)
This message didnt make it through to the list last time so I'll try
again...

---

While waiting on a traffic backup in my 70 BGT my friend and I got into a
discussion on clutches. As traffic would inch forward, I would press the
clutch in, shift into gear, release the clutch, move forward, and repeat
the process to shift into neutral. My friend was asking why I dont just
hold the clutch in while the traffic is stopped instead of engaging and
releasing it constantly.

I was under the impression that sitting still in traffic with the clutch
depressed and i neutral was a Bad Thing would wear the clutch quickly. Is
this true or is it only while the car is in gear?

A general description of how this (the clutch) works, whether I'm wrong or
not, would also be appreciated... :)

Thanks in advance,
Geoff

--
Geoffrey Gallaway || I dunno, I dream in Perl sometimes.
geoffeg@sloth.org ||