Re: Expenses

To: Scott Hower <HowerSL@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Expenses
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:27:59 -0700
Good advice all on this one!

In my case our '65 has cost us ridiculously little in the 31 years we
have owned it, about $15,000 so far (Not counting insurance or gas),
including the original purchase price of $1895 in 1969.  This includes
maintenance, tires, batteries, and a restoration in 1986.  I am now
putting in a rebuilt engine and tranny, which will add another $2000 to
this total, and I need to redo the interior and paint next year, which
will cost another $2000 (unless I spring for leather!). (I am doing all
the work myself, these costs are for materials and parts.)  So figure
$20,000 invested over 31+ years, and I expect to go at least five more
years with minimal expense, maybe $1500.  $600/year for 35 years ain't
bad!

Now compare that to the cost of a new car that you borrow $25,000 over 6
years to buy.  That is $450/mo at 9% interest, or $5400/year for a total
of $32,400.  I can buy a lot of parts for $450/mo.

If you need ammunition to support your hobby, here is a good loan
calculator:  http://www.peoplefirst.com/pff/site_index.cfm.  Of course
it helps if your spouse likes driving the B, and mine does, it is her
car!
--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle