Re: Dead

To: "wcameyer" <wcameyer@email.msn.com>, "The MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dead
From: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 18:54:49 +0100
If the points are the type that are held on with a nut and the condenser and
coil wires have separate terminating tags check it has been assembled
correctly.  One of the insulating washers goes on the post first, flange sid
uppermost to locate the points; then the points; then the condenser and coil
tags in either order, then the secons insulating washer flange side down to
locate the points and both tags; finally the nut.  If either of the points
or the coil wire are incontact with the mounting post the car will not run
at all, and ifd the condenser wire is in contact with the mounting post you
will get weak sparking and hence possibly non-running.

If all that's OK track 12v through the coil onto the points, and check you
get switching between 12v and ground on that wire when you crank the engine.

PaulH.