RE: Axle ratios revisited

To: "'Larry Hoy'" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: RE: Axle ratios revisited
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:34:58 -0700
What a demanding person : )

        The 4.55 ring and pinion will fit in an MGB banjo style rear end.

        The only thing to watch out for are the side gears in the pumpkin
assembly.  These are fine tooth for MGB.  Coarse tooth for MGA 1500 and
Magnette.  The MGA 1600 with the 4.10 ratio also has fine teeth, but I was
warned at some time that although the tooth count is the same as B the angle
of cut may be different.  I have not checked the part numbers of the side
gears to confirm this tho'.

        To use an earlier pumpkin just pop the MGB side gears into it.

        Another alternative is to purchase a new ring and pinion, and build
them into MGB case.  There is a supply of new 4.55 ring and pinions now on
the market.  One problem with these is that they were sourced to regear T
series cars and have a coarse spline pinion that does require the T series
input flange.  Luckily these too are available new.

        You did miss one banjo rear end ratio.  The early (-ZA18100) MG
Magnette ZA according to the manual had a 4.875:1  (8/39) ratio.

Kelvin.