Re: MGB steering rack seals

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB steering rack seals
From: bburrows@webtv.net (Bruce Burrows)
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 18:23:49 -0400 (EDT)
--WebTV-Mail-12956-46

I thank all who were kind enough to respond to my earlier post on this
subject, which is reproduced below.

The new seals are installed and the MGB is back on the road.  I confess
I used the counterfeit seals, and with much hesitation after the

About five years ago I hit a severe storage space snag and it was either
buy a lift, expand my garage (brick), or build an additional one.
Cheapskate that I am I bought the lift, an Autolifters M6 (four poster).

Well the lift was purchased __strictly__ to enhance storage space for my
"fleet".  It has worked out really well, has been in use 24/7 since
purchase, and I have no regrets.  I store a Daimler SP 250 over my MGB.

However for the MGB seal replacement task I decided to use the lift as a
service lift.  This decision was not for me straightforward or obvious
for reasons too detailed to merit elaboration.  But it was my _first_
time to tackle the seal replacement job with the aid of a lift.

The result?  Boy the work is _hugely_ easier (JMHO) using the lift.  My
statement in my original note (below) turned out to be wrong.  The labor
was a breeze.  While the car was up I greased it as well.  Zero effort.
The minimal labor effort influenced my decision to take a chance on the
questionable seals.

I know all this is obvious, but it sure is helpful having a service lift
in the garage - and a heck of a lot easier on my old bones and joints.
<G>

Thanks again.

Bruce Burrows

'59 MGA basket case