Re: horn shock, help!

To: xirias@hol.gr, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: horn shock, help!
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:47:00 EDT
In a message dated 7/27/00 11:40:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time, xirias@hol.gr
writes:

<< Whenever I push the horn this car gives me an electric shock. I don't
 think the manufacturer intended to use this feature towards quieter
 cities! Could you please help me solve the problem? It has two very
 feeble sounding aftermarket horns and a little plastic cube-shaped relay
 hanging (...) from the LH radiator stay! >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you are getting a shock, it is because there is a bad ground somewhere.
The circuit is being completed through you!  Check the ground after the horn
push button.  Your best bet is to buy a set of aftermarket air horns, which
are relatively cheap, and use the wiring diagram that comes with them.
Re-wire the entire circuit.  I have Fiamm air horns in my Midget.

I don't have a wiring diagram here at work, (I gotta buy another Bentley
manual for my office!), but generally, the power goes from the fuse block, to
the horns, then to the horn push.  When you push the botton, the circuit is
grounded and the horn (hopefully) makes noise.

A solenoid is not usually included in British cars, but will be included in
an aftermarket horn set.  It is a good idea to use it because the compressor
draws a lot of power.  There will be two power circuits from the fuse block
to the solenoid.  One goes back to the horn push and is closed when the
button is pushed, closing the switch in the solenoid.  The other goes through
the solenoid to the horns when the switch is closed by the horn push circuit.
 That way, less power goes thru the horn push wiring.

Good luck,

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget