Wheel Bearing Replacement 77B

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wheel Bearing Replacement 77B
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 19:45:41 -0400
Help, please.  I'm replacing the rotors and pads on my 77B.  Decided that, while
I'm at it, I may as well install the wheel bearing kits that I've had for
awhile.  It's taken a month to gather together all of the parts that I figured
would be best to have on hand during the process.  The old pads came out fine
(they're thick, but badly glazed), the calipers came off without a hitch, the
bearing retaining nut wasn't a problem.  A little shot of Busty (thanks, Ed,
it's great stuff) and the rotor separated from the hub.

        Now comes the problem.  How do you remove the oil seal collar from the
hub?  The bearing kit (Moss #125-840) contains a new oil seal.  Does the collar
have to be removed before the new seal can be installed?  I'm afraid to apply
brute force to the collar for fear of screwing up a piece that I don't have
handy?  Is there a "Wheel Bearings for Dummies" page on somebody's web site?
TIA.
--
Bud Krueger
http://home.ici.net/~bkrueger/