Re: generators and pos ground

To: "James Nazarian Jr" <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>
Subject: Re: generators and pos ground
From: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 20:27:49 +0100
James - just noticed I typed '.05v' instead of '.5v', so it looks like your
field winding is faulty, particularly as it measures 0.5 ohms instead of
6ohms which is what my manual for an MGB says as well (there will be little
difference in design and spec for cars of a similar era with similar
electrical loads, the huge disparity in cost probably reflects rarity).  The
yoke is the metal former it is wound on, at ground potential, i.e. same as a
mounting 'ear'.  Quite possibly the insulation has broken down between turns
of the field winding, in which case it needs professional repair or
replacement.

PaulH.