Rear axles

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear axles
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 21:34:56 -0500
Well, I'm back and I have a question.

Having just lost a '69 B to an idiot in traffic (I'm not upset - he did me
a favor), I'm finishing out a '67 B as a replacement daily driver.

I'm working on the rear end and here's the dope:

The banjo axles and the tube type have different half axles for disc or WW
and I have to find out whether an axle sitting in a friend's garage is
half-axled for wire or disc. Are the splines different? Measurement from
end of case to end of axle? Not knowing this, can I take the hubs off a
tube-type and bolt them directly to a banjo-type set up for wires? I know
all the different half axles have different part numbers, but do the hubs
themselves have different dimensions?

I'm trying to avoid rebuilding a diff. I don't have gobs of time to put
into car rebuilding since it always has to get me to work.

Glenn
Glenn Schnittke
schnittke@mindspring.com
Home: 615-385-2800