Re: Teens & clutches OT

To: Carl W French <cfrench@cybertours.com>
Subject: Re: Teens & clutches OT
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 23:28:38 -0700
I've taught a few people to drive "standard" transmissions.

Do you by any chance have access to a motorcycle? An excellent way to
teach someone about the friction point is to have them stand straddling
a motorcycle, have them let out the clutch until the bike starts to
roll forward, then they release the clutch and roll it back.
This is the technique that the MSF used to teach people how to use
a clutch in their basic motorcycle class, and yes a lot of the folks
had never driven a clutch before. (1-800-cc-rider for info on the
MSF class).

The next step is to go to someplace flat and start with having the
student let out the clutch just until the rpms drop, then release it
again. Repeat until they can do this fairly well.

The next step is to have them work on keeping the RPM at about 2000
as the clutch comes out. Once the car is moving, depress the clutch,
come to a stop. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Next, do this exercise in second gear. Then maybe third.

Once the student can get the car started from a stop in second gear,
find a slight hill and have them practice starting from a stop
heading up hill.  When they've mastered this, work on doing it in
second.

Unless the student is an unbelievable natural, this process will involve
many practice sessions.  Each session have the student warm up
by reviewing the previous several exercises.

As to gear choice, I'll be lazy and suggest that you get a copy
of my book (both Frey Racing and the National Auto Sport Association
www.nasaproracing.com) have it.  I have a whole section on the theory and
practice of gear choice.

   Larry

--
I want to have profound thoughts and have other people implement them.- T. Bird
lrc@red4est.com                                     http://www.red4est.com/lrc