Re: MGA Misc.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA Misc.
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 01:17:52 +0000
Edwin McCarroll wrote:

> I have two further questions for the list:   a)  If I decide to mount
> a front sway bar to the MGA, will I see a major contrast to the
> present handling characteristics?
>

>From my personal experience on my 'B the answer should be yes - but the
degree will depend on the size of the bar.  My aim was to minimise the
amount that the back wheel lifted off the ground under (very) heavy
cornering and I eventually ended up with a 7/8 sway bar on the front.

No-one told me the effect that this would have on handling but I found
out soon enough as I slid off the track on the first bend.  The heavy
sway bar introduced marked additional understeer (more than usual that
is).

Of course your car being an 'A and not knowing the size of the bar you
want to install... YMMV (my expertise is limited to this persoanl
experience - others may know better than this).

This was no real problem once I got used to it because it worked in
keeping the rear wheels closer to the ground.

> Should I also mount a rear sway bar?

I haven't done that yet (it is against our rules in my 'class' to have
front AND rear sway bays) but I seriously contemplated a panhard rod to
stop some of the lateral movement of the rear axle plus its other
benefits.

Maybe when I get my shiny, new engine with more grunt I will need that
panhard rod.

Eric
'68MGB MkII