MGA Grille shell rechroming

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA Grille shell rechroming
From: Steve Morris <smorris@en.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 19:21:48 -0400
Hi all,

I may have found my MGA (Hi, David!) One of the things that I might want
to do at some time in the future would be to have the original grille
shell rechromed. All the other grille parts are in excellent condition,
and I'd rather not purchase a reproduction shell.

The current MGA 1500 shell has some of the crome flaking on the large
area beside the MG badge. It is not bad, but I'd want to do something
with it before it started pitting. There appears to be no pitting at this
point. Has anyone had a grille shell stripped, polished, and rechromed?
The local shop here, that is well known in the antique restoration
business, gave me a guestimate, based on previous experience, of
$400-$450. I was guessing about twice a repro shell, or about $300-$350.

Has anyone else had this done, and what where the associated costs?

Thanks,
Steve
Avon, Ohio