Re: Fan Sensor

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fan Sensor
From: Steve Bettencourt <steveb5815@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 07:27:39 -0400
Hi All,
I need to chime in on this subject. I had previously heard that the temp
sensor switches were interchangeable between the '80 and pre '80 types
but I don't believe it to be true now. As Ed stated - Get the correct
parts. I installed a new radiator in my '79 B and the hole for the switch
on the new rad has a rolled edge while the hole on the original has a
sharp edged hole punched thru the tank wall. The original "long" switch
never leaked although I safety wired it after it pushed out to the top
neck when the car got hot one day. The same switch with new gasket would
not seal in the new radiator. I even tried a Jag gasket which is twice as
long as the 80 MG gasket but it still leaked. I made a clamp to go over
the top tank to squeeze the switch into position. The leak is stopped but
this is not the correct solution. I have since purchased the 80 style
switch, but as has been mentioned, the wiring connections are different.
I will measure the two switches to see if the newer style is slightly
larger. If anyone has already done this, could you post your findings?

Steve Bettencourt
http://www.bmcne.com
webmaster@bmcne.com