Re: Is 5-speed better than OD?

To: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Subject: Re: Is 5-speed better than OD?
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 09:12:58 -0500
Hi Tab,

  My '79 Nissan PU has one of the 5-speed trannies that have been
swapped into V-8 Bs.  I also had a 260Z that had the same tranny.  The
5th gear is an OD ratio around 0.8:1.  I've also had 2 Bs that had the
LH OD.  For my money the OD is the way to go. You can have OD with the
flick of a switch in at least 3rd & 4th gear.  Much handier than
manually shifting the box.

  I recently swapped a top-fill OD tranny into my '69 B.  Straight swap
using the same rear mounts, crossmember and driveshaft.  Had to replace
the speedo cable with the one for the OD, which is longer.

  CR