Re: Tach is dead

To: "Evangelos G. Makris" <xirias@hol.gr>
Subject: Re: Tach is dead
From: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 19:37:11 +0100
Hi Evangelos,

The needle moving the way you describe is usually caused by bad connections
in the green circuit - the extra load of other components is dragging down
the voltage.  The turn signals I can understand, but I am a bit surprised
you mention the hazards as well, as this implies bad connections in the
brown circuit (the hazards come direct off the brown, the turns via brown,
ignition switch, white, fuse and green).

Did you measure the voltages while the turn or hazards were flashing?  There
will always be some volt-drop while this is happening but it shouldn't be
more than, say, half a volt.  If it is more than a volt then you need to
check the voltage back through the above circuit.  If you can find two
points where it varies significantly more at one than the other, then the
problem is between the two points.  Bear in mind you could have more than
one bad connection in the circuit.  If the voltage reads good at the tach
but it is still dancing in tune with the turns, then I am at a bit of a loss
as to what to suggest next, short of using an oscilloscope and looking for
voltage spikes and troughs.

Good luck,
PaulH.